MEDITATING ON THE BIBLE

Source: paref.edu.ph

Why should we meditate on the Bible? 

 You will meet Jesus in person. “Jesus himself is present in his word” (Vat II, SC 7) 
 You will hear God speak. When you pray, you speak to God, when you read the Bible, God speaks to you, says St. Augustine. We don’t have to wait for him to speak to us first. He has already spoken. (Pope Francis) 
 You will be nourished. Jesus’ word is the most nourishing food for the soul, says Pope Francis. 
 You will feel God’s love. The Bible is the greatest love letter ever written. 
 You will help change the world. Pope Benedict XVI said that when Christians rediscover Bible meditation, there will be a “new springtime”. 

Pope Francis taught: A Christian's first task is to listen to the word of God, to listen to Jesus, because he speaks to us and saves us with his word. 

How do I meditate on the Bible? 

It’s as simple as talking with a close friend! Because Jesus told us: I have called you my friends. And the original word he used refers to his intimate circle! When you talk with a friend, there are three things that happen: 

(1) your friend talks first and you listen, 
(2) you talk and then he listens; 
(3) you agree to do something. Simple! 

You can find these three elements in the steps for Prayerful Reading of Scripture or Lectio Divina (divine reading) outlined by Pope Benedict XVI: 

(1) Reading (what the Word of God says) and Meditation (I listen to what God is telling me, e.g. a phrase that strikes me) 
(2) Prayer (what I tell Jesus: thank you, sorry, help me, or use prayers in the Bible, etc.) and Contemplation (I look at Jesus with love and he looks at me with divine love) 
(3) Action (I do something to love God above all and love my neighbor) 

How can I make my meditation even more fruitful? 

In line with many Catholic saints, St. Josemaria said: My advice is that, in your prayer, you actually take part in the different scenes of the Gospel, as one more among the people present. First of all, imagine the scene or mystery you have chosen, to help you recollect your thoughts and meditate. 

Remember: all of Christ’s actions described in the Bible are God’s actions. They are eternal and timeless. We can interact with them at this moment. 

What is the best part of the Bible to pray about? 

Pope Benedict XVI taught there is a very deep union between the Bible and the Mass. (Bible scholars say that all the books were collected as one Bible to be read for liturgical worship!) And so Pope Benedict said that the “correct approach to Scripture” is to “savor the deep meaning of the word of God” in the three readings and the prayers of the Mass of the day. (VD 52-55; cf The Way 86) The best part of all is the Gospel. St. Therese of Lisieux said: Above all it’s the Gospels that occupy my mind when I’m at prayer. My poor soul has so many needs, and yet this is the one thing needful. I’m always finding fresh lights there, hidden and enthralling meanings. The Catechism taught: Christian prayer tries above all to meditate on the mysteries of Christ, as in lectio divina or the rosary. (CCC 2708) 

If I don’t understand something in the Bible, what do I do? 

Since the Bible is a book of the Catholic Church, it is her teachers who can best explain it. These commentaries can be found in in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the Navarre Bible, etc. 

What are the best attitudes to have while meditating on the Bible? 

A loving focus on Jesus and his divine look of love for us. The important thing in prayer, said St. Teresa, is not to think much, but to love much. Also, Jesus said: the greatest in the kingdom of heaven is whoever humbles himself like a child. St. Josemaria wrote: give yourself as children do... pray as children pray. 

When and how should my family and I read the Bible? 

Remember: love means working on the relationship and putting time. Pope Francis taught: “The Bible is not for putting in a shelf. It is for reading it often, everyday, either individually or in groups, husband and wife, parents and children; maybe at night, especially on Sundays.” In family lectio divina, these steps can be followed: 

(1) Reading – each one takes turns reading a few verses of the Gospel of the day, or other preselected portions
(2) Meditation 
(3) Prayer
(4) Contemplation
(5) Discussion – each one shares with the others what struck them, and his thoughts and prayer 

What’s the single most important advice on prayer? 

Just do it! (Kreeft) Jesus said: We need to pray continually and never lose heart.

Popular Posts