Levels of Discipleship

Today’s Sunday readings (Lk 9:51-62) are about God’s call and man’s commitment in answer to that call. They ask one for total commitment made in total freedom with the spirit of patient love, — that is, to say an unconditional “Yes” to Jesus and to the Christian life, as a true disciple of Christ. (Fr. ). I would like to share the reflections of Bishop Socrates Villegas:

The greatest follower of someone is called a disciple. To be a Disciple is to follow and related to the word disciple is discipline.

There are three levels of discipleship
1. You say to the Lord "Lord please accept me"
- when we decide to follow the Lord, things went difficult, and when things become difficult, people fall out because naturally, we want the comfortable way
2. "Lord please be gentle"
- please be gentle, I might break
- you will know the color of the person when you test the person
- Lord please be gentle, I have limited endurance, I can't take this anymore but if you don't give up, you went into a higher level of discipleship...
3. "Whatever pleases you" "Lord I don't care, if I get sick, if they kill me just assure me, Lord, it pleases you"
- total surrender, without any condition
- something good will come out of that unpleasant situation
- Whatever makes You happy, makes me happy
- There is nothing difficult for somebody who loves, everything is easy for somebody we love that is why say to the Lord, "whatever pleases you, Lord" "I really don't care Lord just show me your will because your will is the best for me

Where are you in your discipleship?

Popular Posts